Saturday, November 25, 2006

Two (in a way 3) Things I'm Thankful For

  1. My parents. No matter where I go or what I do, they are always there for me. And I’m not just talking about the big stuff, like when I hated my job (back when I was an auditor) and wanted to quit, or when I crashed my car into a tree on my way to school when I was 15. They’re reliable for that stuff, too, but the small things make the difference. My dad always answers the phone and listens to my random thoughts – I’m behind a red car that’s old looking. What kind is it? or Can I have a lake house? A speed boat? A jet-ski? A paddle boat? or Do you think Grandpa Bill [his father] sounded like Joe Lieberman when he talked? And just the other day, after watching an episode of One Tree Hill, I called my mom and said, “Do I have an African-American half-brother in the Marines?” Without skipping a beat, she said, “How’d you find out?” Seriously – I have some pretty awesome parents.
  2. My roommate(s). I have three, and they’re all pretty great, but the one I’ve been living with the longest gets the most kudos from me. She’s probably the one who benefits most from this blog, because now I can type out some of the random thoughts that usually just get explained to her, where she’s expected not only to nod, but also to comment. Plus, she helps me find my keys when I lose them, remembers to take the trash out every week, and puts up with my sarcastic sense of humor. And she can fold a fitted sheet. I bet other people wish they had roommates this cool…

Obviously, I'm thankful for other things, but if I listed them all, this post could go on and on. But here's a quick Honorable Mention List:

  • My siblings, nieces and nephew
  • My dog
  • The makers of Ben-Gay (sounds random, but I could explain)
  • Kevin Smith, George Carlin, Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert
  • Computers and the Internet
  • The guy that invented the printing press

Thanks to everyone that's important to me. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds like good things to be thankful for. I was curious who actually invented the printing press and thought I would share it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printing_press

A LateNight Blogger said...

Ah yes.. Johannes Gutenberg. I think I actually got that right in Trivial Pursuit once, but couldn't think of it last night - go figure. Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

You should be thankful for Alex Karr as well.