Sunday, August 12, 2007

Trying to Coin a New Word

While walking to the Metro one morning this week, I was stopped by someone in a car - she rolled down her window and asked me for directions to a nearby hospital. I told her where to turn, she repeated it back to make sure she had it right, and then we both went out separate ways.

So, I'm always kind of excited when something like that happens, especially when I know where the person is headed and can give them directions - it makes me feel like I actually know my way around. But after telling her where to go, I found myself thinking about how I would tell the story, and that's when I decided I need a new word.

The person in the car was female, and probably around 30. So, I can't really tell the story and say "a girl stopped and asked me for directions," because using the word girl is misleading. But for me, woman is too... old, I guess. Or grown up. If I were describing myself, I would never say "I'm a fun-loving woman" or anything like that - it's too matronly or something. Really, I suppose for myself, I would probably use girl, even though it has a younger connotation. And even though I like the word chick, I know that some people are rather strongly opposed to it. So that pretty much leaves me with old-fashioned (and to some, offensive) words like gal and doll - which I would pretty much never use anyways.

Males have it much better. I generally stick with using the term guy, which can be appropriate for males of all ages, really. Or sometimes I throw in dude or man, although the latter would generally be for older males. And there's always boy, too, of course.

Anyways, now I'm on a mission to find a better casual term for female, so that I can tell a better story. Help is always welcome - I figure coining a word is probably tricky business.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, I thought I'd drop by your blog after seeing ya on my associate, Mo Rocca's blog.

Anyway, I see where you're coming from. What is the ideal term for a female? Girl and woman are usually the main choices, or some silly pet names, like 'dollface' or 'baby' but those are dull.

I guess there's 'lady' or 'dame' but those sound so outdated, if anything, ancient terms to describe a female. We need a new, chic and hip name. I guess 'girl' was too favored and why be original? In the world of hip-hop and rap, 'shorty' is usually the top pick for a female. It sounds so silly but somehow, you can't find a popular rap album that doesn't feature a lyric about one man's shorty, his girl.

I guess we can go back in time and maybe pick out a word. Will Smith made the word 'jiggy', a popular 1930's slang term for 'lovely' or 'wild' and integrated it into his own song. However, nobody is really gettin' jiggy with it anymore but kudos to him for breathing life into something old but unique.

I’ll try to think of something. Best of luck though.

-Blayze

Sarah said...

One of the guys I work with still uses the word "jiggy". He mostly uses it for humor value and tells us to, "Get jiggy with it" when we need to get to work. At least he knows how to have a good laugh. :)

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.