Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Random Thoughts (but not by Jack Handy)

The past week and half has been pretty busy, and my blog has suffered for it. In addition to shopping for Christmas and Chanukah gifts (or Chrismahanukwanzasolstibirthdaykah gifts, as I like to call them), work's been busy with year-end stuff, and I seem to have had plans on several evenings, which is not the norm. Isn’t it weird how you can go weeks without making dinner plans and then all of a sudden you’re out 4 nights in a row? I guess that’s just how it works...

So instead of any single theme or idea in this post, here are my random stories and thoughts from the week:

This past weekend, I went with some friends to Charlottesville, VA for the UVA-Hampton basketball game. The new John Paul Jones arena is pretty cool, but the game wasn’t all that exciting. My roommate and I did have an interesting food experience, though. I’m not that great at typing out complicated stories, but let me just say that if you order cinnamon pretzel bites at a UVA basketball game, beware of the cinnamon goo that squirts out of either end. There is absolutely NO way to eat one without goo squirting out somewhere. It just cannot be done.

My favorite comedian, George Carlin, has a list of people he “could do without” that he has used in his stand-up routine (check it out here: http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/25483/George_Carlin_People_I_Can_Do_Without.html ). It includes a variety of people: “a proctologist with poor depth perception,” “guys in their 50’s named Skip,” “a funeral director who says ‘hope to see you again real soon’,” and others. I think I would add movie critics and music critics. I mean, isn’t anyone who listens to music or watches movies a critic? What makes them better at deciding what’s good and what’s not? And why should I care what some guy I’ve never met thinks about the new Kanye West song? I’m pretty sure I’m capable of making my own decision about whether or not I like a song.

The title of this post made me think of the old “Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handy” on SNL. I loved them so much that one time I bought a book of them – but now I don’t know where it is. Luckily, the trusty old Internet is very helpful – there’s the official site: http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/ and several unofficial ones. When you’re bored, you should check it out.

Ok, I think that’s it for now. Sorry for the posting delay, and hopefully I’ll have some better ones up soon. In the meantime, Happy last couple days of Chanukah and hope everyone that celebrates Christmas has a wonderful holiday on Monday! Happy holidays!

No comments: